Picture of Martyn Raybould

Martyn Raybould

Motorhome driving licences and the law. Are you licenced to drive a Motorhome?

Motorhome driving licences and the law. Are you licenced to drive a Motorhome, because there are different rules based on the size and weight of your motorhome. So our friends at WeBuyAnyMotorCaravan.com have some top tips to keep you safe!

To more information on Buying, Selling and Owning a Camper or Motorhome go to our website or www.motorhomescampervans.net.

Driving a motorhome

You need the right licence to drive a motorhome or campervan, and your vehicle needs to be within UK size limits.

Licence requirements

The licence you need to drive a motorhome depends on your age and the vehicle’s maximum authorised mass (MAM). This is the vehicle’s weight plus the maximum load it can carry.

To drive a motorhome with a MAM of between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes, you need a category C1 licence.

To drive a motorhome with a MAM of over 7.5 tonnes, you need a category C licence.

Check which vehicles you can drive and the licence and age requirements for towing.

Licence requirements may be different in Northern Ireland.

Driving a larger motorhome or even an American RV needs additional skills and experience. You will also need an entirely different driving licence to use one.

To own an expensive leisure vehicle like a Camper or Motorhome is usually something that can take time and the financial means, so may take you driving into your 60’s and 70’s.

There will no doubt be a number of specific questions some reader may have so here are some additional Frequently Asked Questions

And if you have a question you cant find an answer to then get in touch with us or give us a call. Engineer Aftercare Motorhome Warranty is always happy to assist new and experienced owners with your needs. To find out about adding some Peace of Mind to owning your own Campervan or Motorhome, we have a wide range of Warranty Aftercare products to choose from, with full AWS approved workshop cover plus cover in Europe. Find out more at www.engineerinsuranceandaftercare.com

engineers aftercare insurance_services_logo

Share this post